Contact your grandchild if their parents are divorced or separated


If a parent prevents you from seeing your grandchild, you do not have an automatic legal right to do so. You might be able to acquire access if you take certain steps.

Scotland and Northern Ireland go through a distinct process.

You can try to enlist assistance in helping your grandchild:

  • a casual, family-based arrangement in which both parents are involved
  • conflict resolution

If this doesn’t work, you can request authorization from the court to file a court order. On the same paperwork as the court order application, you must seek approval.

Mediation for the grandchild

You and your family members can work out an agreement with the help of an independent family mediator.

They plan to hold a “mediation information and assessment meeting” (MIAM). It is intended to assist families in reaching settlements following a divorce or separation, particularly those including children.

Locate a mediator in your community.

To get a court order, please fill out the form below.

Unless you’re exempt, you must attend a mediation meeting before filing a lawsuit (for example, because domestic violence is involved).

If you’ve already attended a meeting and wish to seek a court order, you must:

The mediator who conducted it must sign the court order to confirm your attendance at the mediation meeting.

It will require a court charge of £215. You may be able to acquire financial assistance to pay the price.

After that, what happens?

The court will determine if you are permitted to spend time with the child and, if so, what type of contact is in the child’s best interests. An order might stipulate, for example, that you can only communicate via phone or letter (indirect contact).

The following options are available to the order:

1. a child’s residence

2. When and with whom a youngster spends time

3. How should the kid and someone named in the order communicate, such as by face-to-face contact or phone calls?

The court will always decide what is best for the child.

More details

You can obtain extra help and advice from the following sources: