Dealing with death of a loved one step-by-step instructions


Register the Death 

Within five days, report the deceased.

Examine your options if you find yourself in the following situations:

1. A coroner’s office has been notified of the death.

2. the death occurred somewhere other than the United Kingdom

3. you’re filling out a form to report a stillbirth

4. You believe someone has gone missing, and you believe they are dead.

You should notify the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) as soon as possible if you want to suspend or amend your benefits payments. 

Arrange a Funera

Notify the government of the death

The Tell Us Once program is being used to notify all relevant public institutions when someone dies.

1. Notify the government through the Tell Us Once service.

2. If you are unable to use Tell Us Once, inform the government personally.

You’ll also have to inform banks, utility companies, and landlords or housing associations.

See if there are any bereavement benefits available to you.

You may be eligible for financial assistance.

Check to see if you can obtain:

  1. If your spouse or civil partner has died, you may be eligible for a Bereavement Support Payment.
  2. If you’re raising a child whose parents have died, you may be eligible for Guardian’s Allowance.

Take care of your pension, benefits, and taxes.

Depending on your relationship with the individual who died, your tax, benefit claims, and pension could all vary.

  1. If your spouse has died, manage your tax, pensions, and benefits.
  2. Examine the impact of a child’s death on benefits.

Check to see if you need to apply for a visa to remain in the United Kingdom.

If your ability to live in the UK is contingent on a deceased relative, you may need to apply for a new visa.

If you’re not sure about something, look up the regulations.

1. You’re in the UK with your partner, a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain.

2. Your deceased companion was a member of the HM Forces.

Check the rules for other visas with UKVI.

Keep hold of their estate. 

You might have to deal with the deceased person’s will, money, and property if you’re a close trusted friend or the executor of the will.

1. Determine whether you need to file for probate.

2. Assess the estate 

3. Handle the estate 

4. Maintain property records