Getting Married Abroad


If you’re a British national getting married or forming a civil partnership outside the UK, you may need specific UK government paperwork, such as a certificate of no obstacle (CNI).

Find out how to obtain the documentation you’ll require using this tool.

To find out what you need to do, contact the local Government in the area where you want to marry.

If each of these following conditions is met, the Government will recognize your marriage or civil partnership in the UK:

  • In the country where you married, you followed the proper procedures.
  • Under UK law, it would be permissible.

If you want to get married in the United Kingdom, there is a separate guidebook.

You may register here.