When you divorce or split, you’ll have to deal with money and property issues


Getting a financial agreement is the first step.

You and your ex-partner must have to agree on how to divide your finances after your divorce or end a civil relationship.

It includes determining how you’ll divide:

1. pensions 

2. possession

3. monetary savings

4. financial commitments

You may receive items such as:

1. a portion of your or your partner’s retirement benefits, such as the State Pension or private pension programs

2. monthly alimony payments to assist with child support or living expenditures

If you ever agree on how to divide your money and property, you can typically avoid going to court.

If both of you were not married or in a civil partnership, the rules are different. You’ll still need to agree on child support payments if you have any children. 

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, you can do different things.

Putting a contract into effect of divorce

If you and your ex-partner acknowledge how to divide your assets and debts, you must file a consent can make it legally binding.

Obtain assistance in reaching a consensus

To avoid going to court, you can engage a mediator or seek other assistance.

Obtain a decision from the court

You can seek a court to make a financial order if you cannot agree on everything.

If you accept the proposal,

When you agree on how to divide your money and property, it’s usually more accessible and less expensive. Obtain assistance in reaching a consensus.

They are legally binding your agreement.

You’ll need to prepare a consent order and have it approved by a court to make your agreement legally binding.

If your agreement isn’t legally enforceable, a court won’t enforce it later if problems arise.

A consent order is a document that discusses that you agree to something. It specifies how you’ll split up your assets, such as:

  • Pensions
  • Property
  • Savings 
  • investments

It can also involve provisions for child support and other types of maintenance payments.

You can seek legal counsel or hire a lawyer to draft a consent order on your behalf.

When should you seek an order consent?

If you have started to do the paperwork to divorce or end your civil partnership, you can petition the court to approve your consent order.

It is usually easier to divide money and property before applying for the final legal document to end the partnership.

The following is the final legal document:

1. If you’re divorcing, make an absolute decree.

2. if you’re ending a civil relationship, the final order

You can share your money and property after your divorce is finalized or your civil partnership has dissolved. It may alter your entitlements, and you may be required to pay tax as a result.

How to request permission from the court

You and your ex-partner must:

Notification of application for a financial order must also be completed by one of you.

Send the signed forms and copies, along with the £53 cost, to the court handling your case if you’re dissolving your civil partnership or officially separating. Make copies of your own.

In various cases, there is no need to go to court. If you think your consent order is fair, a court will approve it and make it legally binding. They can ask for it to be changed if they don’t think it’s fair.

What’s the price?

It costs £53 to get to court.

The cost of a lawyer depends on their level of experience and where they work. Typically, the bill by the hour.

Payments for maintenance

The court may order the higher-earning party to provide regular maintenance payments to aid with the other party’s living expenses.

A maintenance order’ is what it’s called. A maintenance payment can be made for the following reasons:

  • a finite amount of time
  • until one of you passes away, marries, or establishes a new civil partnership

If ever you lose your job or obtain a significantly better paying job, it usually modifies the payment. 

Children’s upbringing

The court can also rule on child support, but the Child Maintenance Service usually handles this. Learn more about making child-care arrangements when you divorce or split.

When transferring assets, there is a payment for taxes

If you provide or otherwise ‘dispose of’ assets to your husband, wife, or civil partner before the divorce or civil partnership is finalized, you usually do not have to pay Capital Gains Tax.

Shares, some personal belongings, and real estate are examples of assets. When you transfer or sell your primary residence, you usually do not have to pay taxes.

If you transfer an asset when you’re divorced, it’s considered a gift.

The regular rules for spouses and civil partners apply if you lived together at any stage during the tax year when you transferred the asset.

You might have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you don’t. You’ll need to receive an asset valuation on the transfer date and utilize it to calculate the gain or loss.

The tax year will run from April 6 to April 5 of the following year.

After you have divorced or dissolved your civil partnership, you can transfer an asset.

After your relationship has formally ended, you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the assets you transfer.

The rules for calculating your profit or loss are complicated. Get in touch with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or seek expert tax advice from an accountant or tax adviser. You’ll have to provide them with the following information:

1. an absolute or dissolving decree

2. Any court order if they transferred the assets. 

3. any other contract demonstrating asset transfer